Next MCP General Meeting ~ Monday, April 7th
5:45 P.M. at Picture Rock Studio, home of Glen and Eliane, Hwy 14
What's new and Events
- Free Connect Internet Center - Johnson's Gallery, Madrid NM
Mon-Wed-Fri-Sat 12-5, Thurs 1-6, Sun 10-4
- Kickoff Benefit for the Free Connect Internet Center
Thursday, April 24th, 4PM-8PM Mineshaft Tavern, Madrid
- Gypsy Fest, June 7
President - Gail Snyder
Vice President - Bruce McIntosh
Secretary - Clinton Anderson
Treasurer (interim) - Alyson Gillman
About the Madrid Cultural Projects
The Madrid Cultural Projects is an all volunteer, non-profit organization dedicated to the revival of Madrid as a historical treasure of New Mexico. The town of Madrid, located approximately 25 miles south of Santa Fe, has a history that goes back to the mid 1800s and includes the coal mining days of the 1920s and 1930s.
Madrid's historical treasures include the Oscar Huber Memorial Ballpark which was one of the first lighted ballparks in North America, thanks to the help of Thomas Edison, the New Deal and the Madrid Employee's Club. Madrid's streets are still lined with Miners shacks and fine homes, purchased out of the Sears catalog and brought in by train.
Few towns in New Mexico have as rich a history as Madrid. Today Madrid is a thriving arts and music community. The mission of the Madrid Cultural Projects is to preserve Madrid's historic treasures and support cultural events and education.
Madrid is located along HWY 14, the Turquoise Trail between Albuquerque and Santa Fe, NM.
MCP Seeks Finance-Minded Help
TWO POSITIONS OPEN
to provide financial recordkeeping using Quickbooks, will train, 5-10 hours per month, $100-200 per month
to support growth, oversee finances, work with bookkeeper, serve with board of directors
MCP sponsors a diverse range of projects which includes special events (Madrid music festivals, studio tour, town celebrations), historic preservation (Oscar Huber Memorial Ballpark restoration, old timers outreach), community services including community garden, food bank, internet center and our new FCC approved low-powered radio (coming soon), town dump, highway cleanup and public toilet maintenance.
PLEASE APPLY BY APRIL 18
Send us a brief letter of interest and which position (bookkeeper or treasurer).
by mail: MCP, PO Box 713, Cerrillos NM 87010
by email: email@example.com
Bookkeeper apply by April 18, Treasurer will remain open until filled
For the love of community, we look forward to hearing from you.
- Hosted the rally to raise funds to repair flood damaged road, lead by Carol Carpenter collecting over $20K for the repair of Back Road
- MCP and the MLA jointly paid for two dumpsters for the annual town wide clean-up—over 5 tons were collected
- Hosted the Second Annual Garlic Festival
- Secured location and equipment for the Community Internet Center
- Delivered an amazing community Garden with classes
- Sponsored Children's softball for ages 3 to 10
- Sponsored the creation of a Madrid radio station
- Sponsored the creation of honeybee pollinator sanctuary
- Sponsored the 11th annual Gypsy Festival
- The Oasis Project committee has initiated their first community-wide water catchment effort
- The MCP’s Resources committee launched its new Painted Chairs fundraiser
- Hosted the 2nd Annual Madrid and Cerrillos Studio Tour
- Completed Easement access for Handicap parking at the Ballpark for Master Plan approval
- Decorated the Madrid Ballpark for Christmas
- Hosted the Children's Halloween Events
- Hosted the Children's Christmas Toy Drive