WHERE: HWY 14, home of Joyce Roetter & Mike Wright
Monday, May 4 at 6 pm
All are welcome to attend. The Madrid Cultural Projects is open membership to anyone who loves our 87010 community.
Topics to be announced...
Bring your ideas, bring a dish, bring your goodwill.
2015 Board of Directors
President: Amanda Bramble
Vice-President: Stella Lynder Byrne
Secretary: Clinton Anderson
About the Madrid Cultural Projects
The Madrid Cultural Projects is an all volunteer, non-profit organization dedicated to the revival of Madrid as a historical treasure of New Mexico. The town of Madrid, located approximately 25 miles south of Santa Fe, has a history that goes back to the mid 1800s and includes the coal mining days of the 1920s and 1930s.
Madrid's historical treasures include the Oscar Huber Memorial Ballpark which was one of the first lighted ballparks in North America, thanks to the help of Thomas Edison, the New Deal and the Madrid Employee's Club. Madrid's streets are still lined with Miners shacks and fine homes, purchased out of the Sears catalog and brought in by train.
Few towns in New Mexico have as rich a history as Madrid. Today Madrid is a thriving arts and music community. The mission of the Madrid Cultural Projects is to preserve Madrid's historic treasures and support cultural events and education.
Madrid is located along HWY 14, the Turquoise Trail between Albuquerque and Santa Fe, NM.
- Hosted the rally to raise funds to repair flood damaged road, lead by Carol Carpenter collecting over $20K for the repair of Back Road
- MCP and the MLA jointly paid for two dumpsters for the annual town wide clean-up—over 5 tons were collected
- Hosted the Second Annual Garlic Festival
- Secured location and equipment for the Community Internet Center
- Delivered an amazing community Garden with classes
- Sponsored Children's softball for ages 3 to 10
- Sponsored the creation of a Madrid radio station
- Sponsored the creation of honeybee pollinator sanctuary
- Sponsored the 11th annual Gypsy Festival
- The Oasis Project committee has initiated their first community-wide water catchment effort
- The MCP’s Resources committee launched its new Painted Chairs fundraiser
- Hosted the 2nd Annual Madrid and Cerrillos Studio Tour
- Completed Easement access for Handicap parking at the Ballpark for Master Plan approval
- Decorated the Madrid Ballpark for Christmas
- Hosted the Children's Halloween Events
- Hosted the Children's Christmas Toy Drive